1. What is the biggest driver of change in the marketplace?
Consumer behavior! There are two key factors, firstly access to information that allow buyers to independently research answers to their questions and, secondly, the adoption of technology that fundamentally changes workflows and reduces the need for print.
2. What is the biggest threat facing transactional resellers?
Amazon! Simple business transactions are exposed to comparison and, in a pricing comparison, Amazon always wins. While personal service from resellers in their local markets helps delay customer churn, ultimately it will not be enough to prevent it.
3. Can I afford to wait before reviewing my strategy?
Evidence of changes to consumer behavior surrounds us. It’s not about to start happening tomorrow, it started a generation ago and it’s accelerating. Continuing to wait and evaluate your options will just serve to reduce the time available to make the changes needed to survive.
4. What is the biggest threat facing independent resellers with service-based billing models?
Again, there are two main threats. First, the adoption of software that greatly reduces the demand for hardcopy printed output and, second, the availability of printing technology platforms with a vastly lower total cost of ownership.
5. Can independent resellers survive despite the challenging market conditions?
That depends! For sure not if they continue to cling to the past and persist with outdated legacy business models. Adoption of technology and understanding consumer behavior in the digital era are the keys to survival.
6. Why can't I acquire failing dealers and buy myself out of trouble?
You can certainly take advantage of the challenging market conditions and you can probably find good deals to acquire other dealers but, unless you change the business model to adapt to the new digital environment, you’re just setting yourself up for a bigger fall.